Monday 24 March 2014


If we talk about chaats, samosas, pani puri, bhel puri, aloo tikki or dahi bhalla tamarind chutney is one of the most important ingredient. It is the main flavouring agent without which we can not enjoy the real taste. Usually I don’t prepare it at home but this time I got the recipe in a news paper before holi festival. The newspaper was torn apart by Atharv and he was playing with it, when I  noticed it then I just snatched it and tried to assemble it so that I can get to know what all was there. As I was planning to make dahi bhalla so thought of trying it too. There was also recipe of green chutney which I have already posted in my blog. This one was quite simple and it tasted like the one we get in the market. Proper consistency and perfect flavour.  It hardly took ten minutes to prepare and yielded about 250ml of it.

Ingredients required are:-

Tamarind chutney
  1. Tamarind paste 1/2 cup
  2. Sugar 1 cup or jaggery
  3. Water 1 cup
  4. Black salt 1 tsp
  5. Red chili powder 1 tsp
  6. Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp.


First of all take tamarind paste. I had taken ready to use paste but if you have fresh one then it is best. Then add all the ingredients in it. In spite of sugar I have used jaggery as I like its flavour and more over its good for health. Then bring it to a boil while continuously stirring it till all the things incorporate well.  After some time you will notice that it starts becoming little thick. You can adjust the consistency according to the need.

If you want to make it more rich add some dry fruits like I added musk melon seeds. You can add cashew, raisins, dates etc.After it cools down you may store it in a glass jar and even refrigerate it for later use.
Hope you liked this one and wont hesitate to make it next time!

Tamarind chutney

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment